What is an educational psychologist?

An educational psychologist works with children, schools and parents to help children achieve in education. All educational psychologists have postgraduate training and are registered with and regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Educational psychologists use their training and expertise in child development to apply psychological theory in helping children and young people to achieve positive outcomes.

About Kathleen

Kathleen established Honeybee Psychology in 2012, after several years working as a Local Authority Educational Psychologist. She read psychology at Sheffield University and trained and worked as a primary school teacher and SENCO. She then trained as an educational psychologist at Birmingham University.

Kathleen offers a friendly and collaborative service to families and schools, which aims to build on the strengths of children, as well as identifying areas of need. Kathleen is experienced in using up to date, evidence-informed psychological assessment and intervention methods and draws on a wide range of psychological theories to inform her work.

Her approach is very flexible and each assessment or consultation is tailored to the needs of the child, family and school. Kathleen has additional training in Solution Focused Brief Therapy and Narrative Techniques and has a post graduate certificate in Systemic Family Therapy practice. At present Kathleen is carrying out research at The Tavistock Clinic, exploring parents’ experiences of their disabled child starting school.

Get in touch by emailing Kathleen@honeybee-psychology.co.uk.